Flash Take Home Two Wins at Jack Walsh Tournament

Oct. 12-13, 2019 -- The Flash won twice at the 29th Annual Jack Walsh Memorial Tournament, finishing second in Bracket B and narrowly missing out on the semifinals.

The Flash dropped their first game of the tournament 2-0 to the Haverford Avalanche, despite getting numerous scoring chances and controlling play for a good portion of the game. After Haverford scored in the fifth minute of play, Peyton saved a penalty kick to keep the game close. In the second half, Peyton made a nice pass to Avinh for a great scoring chance. That was followed by a tough defensive stop by Chase, who played the ball to the corner and led to a strong cross and another scoring opportunity for Peyton.

In the second game, the Flash righted the ship with a 2-1 victory against the Brandywine United Aces. Early on, it looked like this game might be more of the same, as the Flash had the opportunities, but it was Brandywine that carried a 1-0 lead into halftime. However, the Flash came alive with two goals, both from Reece, less than two minutes apart in the second half. On the first, Reece drilled a shot to the top corner on a free kick following a handball just outside the box. On the second, Colin raced down the sideline, turned the corner and slotted the ball to Reece for a beautiful one-touch goal. Near the end of the game, the Flash got a scare when Brandywine hit the crossbar from 30 yards out. Peyton made a nice follow-up save, and Connor cleared the ball out to seal the win. Ezana, Avinash and Connor played solid defense all game and held Brandywine scoreless in the second half.


The floodgates opened for the Flash in their final match, a 5-0 win over the Glen Rock Shooting Stars. After playing a quick game of head-ball ping-pong with the Shooting Stars, Charlie got the Flash on the board with a goal in the third minute of play. Colin had the ball near the end line with multiple defenders in his way, pulled the ball out of trouble and passed back to Charlie, who lofted a perfect far-post shot from just outside box.

The Flash had several other chances in the first half, including a long free kick by Ezana, a breakaway by Kenny, and several attacks from Jackson. The Flash got their second goal before halftime, when Kenny volleyed a corner kick from Reece and buried a shot at the back post. Reece was deadly on his corner kicks all game.

Early in the second half, Reece scored a sweet goal when he dribbled across the edge of the goalie box to get a far post shot. The Brandywine keeper played well, denying strong chances by both Ezana and Kenny. The Flash scored again when yet another corner kick by Reece went in off a Glen Rock defender, with Chase right there to apply the pressure. Zach appeared to scored off a great cross from Colin, but the play was ruled offsides. No matter, as less than a minute later, Colin and Zach teamed up for a nearly identical play that gave the Flash the 5-0 lead.

All in all, it was a successful weekend for the Flash, who take on Delaware FC Hockessin at Heebner for their next Central League game Oct. 19.

Tim O'Donnell once again contributed to this article... and is making a case to be the full-time Flash beat reporter.