Flash Tally Two Wins at Al Perlini Tournament

Aug. 31, 2019 -- The Flash closed out the month of August with a solid showing at the 32nd annual Al Perlini Memorial Tournament in Warminster, finishing with a 2-2 record and right in the thick of the competitive Boys U12 Black division.

The Flash dropped its first game of the day to VE Keilberg, 3-2. The Flash had plenty of chances in the first half, led by the tireless hustle and effort of Grayson, but were unable to convert. Meanwhile, VE Keilberg took advantage of their few scoring opportunities to open up a 2-0 lead by halftime. The Flash came out of the break with more energy, keyed by Tyler, who took the ball off a throw-in and weaved his way through the defense for a goal. Colin looked to even the score a few minutes later, but his goal was disallowed due to a high kick foul. Aidan P. also nearly tied the game with a blast off the left post, but alas, it was VE Keilberg who took a 3-1 lead on a direct kick from just outside the 18. The Flash kept battling, as Tyler scored again in the final minute, converting a penalty kick following a handball in the box.

The Flash earned their first win of the season in the second game, defeating Southampton Barcelona 3-1. Once again, it was Tyler getting on the board for the Flash, taking two touches off a nice pass from Owen before burying a shot in the lower left corner. That proved to be the only marker of the first half, with most of the play taking place in the middle of the field. The second half proved to be much more wide open, and Barcelona quickly tied the game 1-1. Just one minute later, however, Tyler scored the eventual game-winner on a shot that deflected off a defender and squirted past the goalie. Barcelona had several chances to even the score, but Will made some strong defensive plays and Vance made several big stops in net, repeatedly coming out to challenge the attacker. The Flash got an insurance goal with three minutes remaining, as Kenny made a good run up the right side that resulted in a corner kick. Off the ensuing kick, Kenny lofted a shot on goal that Aidan P. buried under the crossbar at the goal line.

A tough Philadelphia Ukraine Nationals Gray team, the eventual champs, loomed in the third game. Despite taking a 2-0 loss, the Flash rose to the challenge and played one of their strongest games of the season. Aidan P. shined in net throughout the match, making two huge early saves on point blank shots to keep his team in the game. He made another big save on a shot from the right side of the box midway through the half, followed by two more saves near the end of the half to keep the game scoreless. Ezana also made numerous stops and takeaways on defense throughout the game. The Flash nearly got on the board early in the second half, as Tyler got a rebound off a corner kick and blasted a shot that went high and wide. Later, Kenny and Tyler worked the ball down the right side, sending a cross to Aidan D. for a shot that went wide left. Unfortunately, it was the Ukraine Nationals who finally got the first goal of the game at the 25-minute mark. They nearly scored again minutes later, but Charlie made a stop on a corner kick from his defensive position. Aidan P. made yet another save late in the second half to thwart a breakaway before the Ukraine Nationals added a late goal to close out the game.

The Flash's offense came alive in their final game of the day, a 4-1 win over the Upper Dublin White Dragons. The Flash were flying out of the gate, as Charlie took a pass from Owen and one-timed it past the goalie in the first minute of play. The attack continued as Jackson made a nice move at the top of the box and ripped a shot that just missed the upper right corner. Owen lofted a shot just over the crossbar before Colin got the Flash's second goal, stealing the ball off a goal kick and beating the White Dragons goalie. Vance made a run down the right side and hit a cross that went through the box for another scoring chance. The Flash extended their lead to 3-0 early in the second half, when Vance's corner kick bounced around in the box and popped out to Avinash, who banged it into the net. The White Dragons had opportunities to make a comeback, but Charlie saved two consecutive direct kicks, including one from just outside the penalty area. The Flash's attack was relentless, as Tyler hit a direct kick from midfield that clanged off the post, while Chase, Kenny and Vance all had shots on goal in the second half. The Flash got their final goal when Owen stole a goal kick and put a well-placed shot in the upper-left corner, just out of the goalie's reach. The White Dragons scored their lone goal off a corner kick in the 30th minute.

The Flash open their Central League schedule Saturday at home against Penn Fusion.